Day 2 of our meet the team series! Introducing Lindsay who is not only a Jennie Fresa makeup stylist but also the lead trainer. Lindsay is totally fashion savvy and on top of the trends. We like to take cues from her on whats hot right now in the fashion world. Just on time for your afternoon lunch time reading get to know Lindsay and check out her super fab Spring Must Have’s. Tomorrow you will be meeting Maureen who is on the front line with all our brides. xoxo, Jennie.
Name/Hometown: Lindsay Milan / Madison, CT
How long have you been doing makeup? I booked my first clients – Barbie Doll, and my younger sisters, Sarah and Katie – around the age of five, and had a reputation as the ‘Bonne Bell guru’ on the playground. I’ve been toting makeup and waving around brushes ever since.
When I’m not doing makeup, I am……Buying makeup, playing with makeup, and reading Allure. Other than that, I love reading blogs, late nights with good friends and a bottle of wine, and traveling here, there, and everywhere.
3 random facts about you:
1. I was in an a cappella group in college called, The Chordials. And yes, I can ‘beat-box’.
2) ‘Milan’ is actually my middle name. My maiden name is too hard for people to pronounce, and my married name, Johnson, makes me tough to find!
3) I used to figure skate as a kid, and can still do a mean ‘waltz jump’.
What got you started in the beauty industry? I grew up watching my Mom get ready for work, and was absolutely fascinated by the way she combed on mascara, and applied her lipstick. That’s probably where it all started. I also did some modeling, and was always digging through the makeup artists’ kits, asking what everything was, and where they got it, and how they got started… as annoyed as all the artists probably were with me, I learned a LOT by asking all those questions, and closely observing their techniques.
My beauty philosophy is……. Clean and classic. But I do love a good smoky eye and false lashes. I’ll throw lashes on to go to the grocery store sometimes… just for fun.
Tell us about your source of inspiration for being creative? Some of the best bits of inspiration come from people-watching. I’ve gotten great ideas from really looking closely at the world around me, and observing trends right where they start: with ordinary people, just doing their thing.
On my IPOD now is….. I have an ridiculous obsession with country music at the moment. If you really listen to they lyrics of country music, they usually tell a great story. On the flip side, I’m also loving Gotye and The Fun.
Who is your beauty icon? This changes on a daily basis, but I love Cate Blanchett and her Victorian-esque beauty. Love the girl-next-door vibe, too from Kristen Bell, Rachel McAdams, Reese Witherspoon, and Christina Applegate.
Who is your fashion icon? Kristen Bell, Jennifer Aniston, Christina Applegate
The one beauty product I can’t live without: Just one?! I have many, but I’ll narrow it down to two: JF Adobe blush, and mascara. Any and all kinds.
My must-have beauty products of the moment: JF tinted moisturizer, Dr. Alkaitis
My favorite perfume: Again, I have tons – Burberry The Beat, DSquared Wood, DKNY Pure, Ralph Lauren Romance, Kate Moss
I would describe my personal style as a classic T-Shirt & Jeans girl
My favorite beauty/fashion blog is The Beauty Department, Refinery29.com, The Sartorialist, Garance Doré
Right now I am reading: The Beautiful and Damned, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
My go to manicure color is Bikini with a Martini, by Essie
The reason I love working with brides is…What’s cooler than getting to spend one of the most special days of a woman’s life with her? It’s so rewarding being able to help a bride feel most beautiful. The bridal glow is contagious, you can’t help but smile.
One beauty services or product I will splurge on & one I will save on: I just discovered the magic of a good massage. Instant relaxation. That, and pedicures.
My guilty pleasure is. TV. I watch too much.
Favorite quote: “Wit is the key, I think, to anybody’s heart, because who doesn’t like to laugh?” – Julia Roberts
1) Mad Men, one of my all time favorite shows, is returning to TV! FINALLY! I am counting down the days until the season premiere, slated for March 25th, when I can once again swoon over the costumes, retro hair and makeup, and of course, the dreamy cast. Who’s with me?!
2) Revlon Lip Butter is by far one of the most luscious feeling lipstick formulas out there, and is great especially if you consider yourself to be more of a “gloss girl” than a “lipstick lady”, but are looking to take a baby step outside of your beauty boundaries. Lip Butter gives your pucker a sheer wash of color, and feels light and moisturizing. This is one of my ‘natural beauty’ staples. My favorite color is “Peach Parfait”.
3) Pinterest has become an ultimate OBSESSION. It is THE most amazing resource – you’ll find inspiration for anything and everything! Follow Jennie Fresa at http://pinterest.com/jfmakeup/ for examples of our hair and makeup work, and follow me at http://pinterest.com/lindsaymilan/ to see what I’m falling for these days.
4) Kate Spade has jumped on the ‘wedding bandwagon’ and is now offering the sweetest little bridal accessories. Check out her collection for bridesmaid gifts, or, for your ‘something new’. As a newlywed myself, the “Say Yes Mrs. Necklace” is on my wishlist for sure.
5) I am LOVING Dr. Alkaitis’ Nourishing Treatment Oil and have officially made it a part of my skincare routine. It’s a little on the pricey side, but not only it is made with all natural ingredients (therefore making it super healthy for your skin!), it’s a multi-tasker and can be used on your face, scalp and body for an all-over moisturizing treatment. A few drops are all you need, and I put this on right after I wash my face, day and night. The result? Super soft, glowing skin that lives up to the product’s claim as “miracle in a bottle”. Miracle indeed! Plus, it smells AH-mazing.